|“||The Lord forgives everything, but I'm just a prophet...so I don't have to. Amen.||„|
|~ Comstock displaying his religious hypocrisy.|
|“||To tax the black more than the white, is that not cruel? To forbid the mixing of the races, is that not cruel? To give the vote to the white man, and deny it to the yellow, the black, the red, is that not cruel? Hmm. But is it not cruel to banish your children from a perfect garden? Or drown your flock under an ocean of water? Cruelty can be instructive. And what is Columbia, if not the schoolhouse of the Lord?||„|
|~ Comstock in the "His Design for Cruelty" voxophone.|
Zachary Hale Comstock is the main antagonist of the 2013 first person shooter BioShock Infinite. He is the founder and theocratic dictator of the floating city of Columbia, as well as the leader of the Founders, Columbia's sovereign ultranationalist political faction. Within Columbia, Comstock is known as a prophet, earning the nicknames "Father Comstock" and the "Hero of the Battle of Wounded Knee".
He was voiced by Kiff VandenHeuvel.
What Makes Him Pure Evil?
- During the Battle of Wounded Knee he committed horrific acts of violence, however unlike the main Booker DeWitt, who was ashamed of his actions, Comstock later came to take pride in them.
- Founded Columbia, which while at first, appears to be a beautiful city, is actually a monstrous place scarred by a xenophobic society which forced minorities into poverty and servitude.
- Took Anna from Booker and renamed her Elizabeth, even though Booker did sell her to him, he tried to take her back and Comstock wouldn't let him.
- Murdered his own wife to cover up Elizabeth's true origins and framed his maid, Daisy Fitzroy for the murder.
- Isolated Elizabeth for most of her life.
- Carried out a coup which resulted in at least 40 deaths to ensure dictatorial control over Columbia.
- Created a revisionist history of America to rule Columbia through a cult of personality which portrayed himself as a heroic figure and promoted neo-Confederate propaganda.
- Led Columbia to destroy the city of Peking during the Boxer Uprising.
- Imprisoned and forced dissenters into hard labor, such as Cornelius Slate.
- Collaborated with Jeremiah Fink, who's only slightly less monstrous than him.
- Attempted to set in motion events which would eventually lead Columbia raining hell down on New York and the rest of the world.