- NOTE: This article is about the original Scar from the 1994 movie. The 2019 remake version can be found here.
|“||Long live the king!||„|
|~ Scar showing his true nature to Mufasa before throwing him off the side of the gorge to the stampede below to his death - his most famous quote.|
Scar is the main antagonist of Disney's The Lion King franchise. He is Simba's uncle and arch-nemesis, Kion and Kiara's grand-uncle, Mufasa's younger brother and arch-rival, Shenzi, Banzai and Ed's former leader and boss and also of his army, he’s also the leader of Ushari and Zira's idol.
He was voiced by Jeremy Irons in the first film, by Jim Cummings in the second film (who also voiced Dr. Robotnik in Sonic SatAM, Steele in Balto, Rasputin's singing voice in Anastasia, Jacques in Scooby-Doo on Zombie Island, Fusilli in Courage the Cowardly Dog, Budzo in Zambezia and Hadrian in Minecraft: Story Mode), and by David Oyelowo in The Lion Guard. He was portrayed by John Vickery in the stage adaptation of the film.
What Makes Him Pure Evil?
- In The Lion Guard, it was mentioned by Scar that he was once the lion guard's most fiercest and keep all patrols on his own, meaning there was a time he was on the side of good at one point and is even implied that Scar was once a respected member of the guard. However, he becomes completely void of the Lion of admirable respect he once was.
- Though the venom in his scar may have influenced his evil nature, Scar was already proven to be envious and power-hungry before being infected as he was willing to work with the Strange Lion to overthrow Mufasa as king due to his jealousy. There's also the fact that unlike his grand-nephew Kion, Scar didn't seek any treatment for the venom that was infecting him and allowed himself to fall into depravity. Furthermore, Kion did not turn evil as he did, showing Scar became evil of his own choice.
- Grew to completely despise his brother for seemingly mocking him by giving him his nickname. While he may be justified in being angry at Mufasa's joke, it doesn't excuse him for wanting to kill his own brother. Adding further to Scar's hypocrisy is that he intended to overthrow Mufasa prior.
- Used the Roar of the Elders to murder the other Lion Guard members for not wanting to join him against Mufasa, which led to his loss of the roar, and then somehow covered up the crime.
The Lion King
- Hated his nephew Simba because he was Mufasa's son and therefore the heir to the throne. Because of which, he refused to join the ceremony for his nephew's birth.
- Nearly swallowed Zazu whole out of spite, and then later knocked him out when he tried to get help for Simba and Mufasa during the wildebeest stampede.
- Although Simba as a cub loved Scar and would tell him stories, Scar did not bother to listen and only pretended to be kind to manipulate the child for his own needs or to get him off his back.
- Tricked Simba into going to Elephant Graveyard so that the hyenas would try to eat him and didn't care once Nala was in danger as well, despite the fact that she was not a threat to his plans of becoming king.
- Abuses the hyenas throughout his villain song and even kills one of them onscreen by forcing him through a crack of lava to set a point.
- Tricked Simba again into staying in a gorge where he created a stampede, and told Mufasa about it so that they both would get trampled to death.
- Killed his own older brother Mufasa once the latter pleaded for his help by tossing him into the wildebeest stampede to be trampled and killed, merely to gain power and pleasure while his nephew watched in horror.
- Gaslighted Simba into believing he was responsible for Mufasa's murder and telling him to run away and never return, then ordered the hyenas to kill him.
- Although he says that the Hyena Clan were his friends, Scar actually doesn't care about them and he just used and manipulated them as his minions for killing Mufasa, Simba and being the new king to invade the Pride Lands.
- Nearly destroyed the Pride Lands by breaking the Circle of Life without caring about their lives, causing damage and death to spread beyond the horizon, including near the whole ecosystem and downfall.
- Shows no concern for his pride's well-being and doesn’t bother to take on responsibilities a king should do.
- Not caring that the hyenas were starving, despite promising them an endless supply of food.
- Threatened to murder anyone who mentioned Mufasa's name, especially those who compared his older brother unfavorably to him.
- In a deleted scene (and later the stage adaptation), he tried, and fortunately failed, to rape Nala so she could give birth to his cubs to carry his legacy. He also had any of his followers who questioned his leadership put to death.
- When Sarabi tried to convince Scar that their pride will have to leave Pride Rock to find food for themselves, rather than admitting his own incompetence as a king and apologizing for his failure, he stubbornly refuses despite knowing they would eventually starve to death and then backhands Sarabi for comparing him to Mufasa.
- Kept Simba from fighting back by continuing to put blame on him for Mufasa's death, and attempts to murder him the same way he did his brother, but not before bragging to Simba about murdering his father, which ultimately resulted in everyone fully losing faith in him, and later his death.
- Cowardly attempted to shift the blame on the hyenas when cornered by Simba, effectively betraying them.
- Hypocritically used the excuse that he is family to convince Simba to spare his life, even though he murdered his own brother and attempted to kill Simba.
- After Simba chose not to kill Scar and instead send him into exile, Scar attacked him unfairly by pretending to walk away before throwing burning embers into his eyes so he'd have the advantage.
- When cornered by the hyenas, who overheard his treacherous words, he attempted to talk his way out of it, once again begging for his life as he was about to get eaten alive.
- Though he gets a very gruesome death at the hands of the Hyenas, he more or less earned his fate for his abuse towards them.
- Though he does have some comedic moments, his actions are still played 100% seriously in-universe.
The Lion King II: Simba's Pride
- Has gained a legacy so bad that all the Pridelanders, including the newborn family members, all hate and despise him. This caused Kovu, who had nothing to do with Scar's crimes, to be despised for simply being chosen as his heir.
- He is responsible for Zira becoming the evil and abusive mother and lioness she is.
- His evil actions are implied to have caused Simba to be afflicted with Post-Traumatic Stress Disorder and make him overprotective of his daughter, Kiara, in the sequel and almost turned him into a villain as well.
The Lion Guard
- After he is successfully summoned from the grave, he sends his army to turn the Pride Lands into chaos and unrest to reclaim it.
- Tried to have the Lion Guard killed many times, not caring that they are young children.
- Has become less forgiving of failure to the point where his whole army (except Ushari) fears him.
- Tricked Kiburi into trying to murder Simba by having him think he can rule The Pride Lands instead.
- Ordered Janja's clan to crush Beshte to death using boulders.
- Ordered Janja'a clan to remove the melons from the Pride Lands as this will cause the elephants to become dehydrated as a result.
- Had Janja interrogate Zazu on Simba's weakness so that taking over Pride Rock would be easier for him.
- Ordered Sumu to assassinate Simba, then tried to kill the Lion Guard at the volcano to let Simba die.
- Had Kilio Valley burnt to the ground.
- Attempted to dry up the Pride Lands' water supply by sending his minions to block the river above Hakuna Matata Falls.
- Ordered his army to eliminate the Hyena resistance.
- Had Mizingo light up the mud pots that Kion, Bunga, Kiara, Tiifu, and Zuri in order to burn them to death. It is noticeable that Scar tried to kill Tiifu and Zuri despite the two posing no threat to his plans.
- Tried to have his army trick a gorilla into causing chaos in the Pridelands.
- Orders the Jackles to kill the Zebra queen.
- When he met Simba again as a ghost, he insulted him by calling him "naïve", reminding him how easily he fooled Simba in the past. He then listed all the places in the Pride lands that he took over before breaking Simba's spirit, saying that soon the Pride will belong to him once again.
- Almost caused the Pridelanders to run away in panic once he revealed himself to them.
- Attempted to murder Janja's Clan by burning them alive when the hyena thought of leaving him and joining Jasiri in order to be not killed by them like their ancestors did.
- Wanted to turn the Pride Lands into a lifeless wasteland as revenge for his defeat.
- Tried to trick his grand-nephew Kion to use the Roar of the Elders on a volcano so it will cause an eruption that will devastate the Pride Lands and slay many animals in the process.
- Had Ushari scar Kion at his left eye, which is the same area Scar was given his scar, so that he could drive Kion into a path of evil, as it happened to him.
- Even when forgiven by Kion, Scar tries to break his spirit by calling the Roar a "curse".
- Scar is the first Disney Pure Evil to be related to the protagonist, with the second being King Runeard from Frozen II.
- He is so far one of the only Pure Evils to appear on a preschool program, which surprised many as while he is undeniably Pure Evil in the film, Scar's evil managed to increase by attempting to burn down the Pride Lands, kill his entire family, try to have Janja, his own minion, killed for betrayal by being burnt alive, and have Ushari scar Kion and have his venom slowly turn him evil.
- He is also the first Disney Pure Evil villain to appear in a preschool program, followed by Cahu from Elena of Avalor
- Scar is easily the most evil villain in the The Lion King franchise as most villains redeem themselves (like Janja and the Outsiders), are taken comically (like Nuka or Shenzi, Banzai and Ed) or have noble goals. While Scar does have an excuse for becoming evil due to a combination of being jealous of Mufasa being king, being bitten by the Strange Cobra and then being nicknamed by Mufasa, he goes far past what this justifies not just by outright murdering Mufasa, but trying to kill his nephew Simba when he was only a child, making him think he was responsible for Mufasa's death, and wanting to turn the Pride Lands into a wasteland without life as revenge for his demise. Additionally, the venom is only shown to bring out the bite victim's darker instincts and desires and Scar had already wanted to overthrow Mufasa before he got his scar. He is also the only The Lion King Villain to be pure evil, along with his remake incarnation and FanScription incarnation.
- The scene in the stage play where Scar tried to rape Nala was inspired by a deleted scene from the film. Had this scene been used, Scar would have been even more evil than in the official release.
- One factor that could prevent Scar from being Pure Evil was his relationship with Zira and how he taught her about the roar and having Kovu as his heir. However, no such statement was made that he cared about her. Had he cared about her the same way she cared about him, he would not have been Pure Evil.
- Scar on the Villains Wiki
- Scar on the Disney Wiki
- Scar on the The Lion King Wiki
- Scar on the The Lion Guard Wiki
- Scar on the Unpublished Villains Wiki
- Scar on the VS Battles Wiki
- Scar on the Hate Sink Wiki