This Pure Evil was Headlined on July, 2021.
|“||Bali Mangthi Kali Ma. (Sacrifice is what Mother Kali desires.) Shakthi Degi Kali Ma. (Power is what Mother Kali will grant.) Kali ma... Kali ma... Kali ma, shakthi deh! (Mother Kali... Mother Kali... Mother Kali, give me power!)||„|
|~ Mola Ram's most famous line as he rips out a Hebrew's heart and sacrifices him for Kali.|
|“||The British in India will be slaughtered. Then we will overrun the Muslims. Then the Hebrew God will fall, and then the Christian God will be cast down and forgotten. Soon, Kali Ma will rule the world.||„|
|~ Mola Ram explaining his world domination plans.|
|“||You don't believe me? You will, Dr. Jones. You will become a true believer.||„|
|~ Mola Ram to Indiana Jones.|
He was a Thuggee high priest who made Pankot Palace his lair and wanted to use the five Sankara Stones to set up the reign of Kali, Goddess of Death. To that end, Mola Ram enslaved the children of a village that had one of the Stones (the taking of it bringing his total to three). They mine for the other two and for gems to fund his cause in catacombs underneath the palace.
He also brainwashes humans, including local politicians and royalty, with the "blood of Kālī Ma" to make them devout followers (unless they are exposed to extreme pain, like burning). Every now and then, he would sacrifice someone to Kali which involved him strapping them to a metal grate and tearing out the victim's heart while lowering them in a pit of fire and enjoying every minute of it.
He was portrayed by the late Amrish Puri.
Mola Ram was an Indian man, a fanatical worshipper of Kali and one of the Thuggee. After the British supposedly slaughtered the Thuggee, a Thuggee priest hid the last two of the lost Sankara Stones in the catacombs beneath Pankot Palace. Mola Ram then became the high priest and the leader of the Thuggee cult. In Pankot, Mola Ram found a powerful ally in Chattar Lal, the Prime Minister of Pankot Palace.
Ram poisoned Maharajah Premjit Singh, Pankot's ruler, in 1930 and with Lal's help, brainwashed into serving him the heir: Premjit's young son, Zalim. He managed to claim three of the lost Sankara Stones, one of which from an Indian village, and kidnapped all of the children from the said village, enslaving them and using them to find the final two Sankara Stones as well as precious gems. He and the Thuggee wished to become unstoppable, wipe out the British and other religions and out of devotion to Kali, rule the world.
What Makes Him Pure Evil?
- Planned to slaughter all the British on India and then overrun the Muslims, the Hebrews and the Christians to rule the world for Kali Ma, establishing the Thuggee as the only religion in the world, intending to make all other religions disappear.
- Poisoned Maharaja Premjit Singh with the help of Prime Minister Chattar Lal when the Maharaja attempted to expose his cult.
- Drugged Zalim Singh, the Maharaja's son, with the Black Sleep of Kali Ma again thanks to Lal so they could use him as their puppet ruler and restore Pankot Palace's long-abandoned Temple of Doom.
- Stole the Shiva Linga, one of the five Sankara Stones, from the Mayapore village, cursing the village and causing it to become baron and lifeless.
- Kidnapped all children from the village, forcing them into slavery in Pankot's mines so they could search for the two remaining Sankara Stones and for diamonds they could sell to finance their schemes, assigning the Chief Guard and other Thuggee soldiers to check on them and beat and whip them if they didn't or couldn't work.
- Sacrificed one of his prisoners for Kali Ma by ripping off his heart and then lowering him, still alive though caged, into the lava pit of the Temple of Doom, grabbing his flaming heart and laughing madly for it.
- Drugged Indiana Jones with the Black Sleep of Kali Ma after allowing the Chief Guard and the drugged Zalim to whip Jones and Short Round, making Jones his brainwashed slave temporarily.
- Turned Short Round into another slave.
- Messed with Willie Scott's head before attempting to sacrifice her much like his previous victim by lowering her into the Temple of Doom's lava pit.
- When Indiana cut off the bridge, while desperately climbing for his life, tried to brutally kill Indy by ripping out his heart after a struggle. He then ordered his archers to kill him.
- In a final attempt to knock Indiana Jones off the bridge to crocodile-infested lake below, grabbed one of his own Thuggee soldiers and threw him towards Jones, chuckling at his demise.
- Mola Ram is the only Pure Evil villain featured in an Indiana Jones movie.
- Some fans consider Mola Ram to be somewhat misunderstood instead of evil given that the film's novelization reveals that he was the son of a Thuggee priest, which could mean that Mola Ram was raised his whole life with the purpose of serving Kali Ma, thus just doing what his religion asked for. However, it seems evident that Mola Ram's Thuggee cell was a highly unorthodox and heretical terrorist organization who enslaved innocent children and was highly divorced of the mainstream Hinduism, which coupled with his lack of care for his subordinates and the pleasure he derides from his acitons, proves that Mola Ram is evil.
- However, the film's novelization hints that Mola Ram was under the Black Sleep of Kali Ma, because when Indy burns Mola Ram with the Sankara Stone at the end, he wakes up from his hypnosis and falls to his death. This idea was present in the film's early drafts, but was likely dropped to not make Mola Ram's death look tragic nor make Indy speculate whether he caused an innocent hypnotized man to fall to his death. Thus, Mola Ram is Pure Evil in the movie, but may not be so in the novelization.
- Related to that, the original script of the film had Mola Ram snapping out of the brainwashed state in the same way as everyone else, which didn't make it to the final film where he merely looks puzzled and confused, which if it did would have affected Mola Ram's current status as PE.
- His Lego Version Can't be Pure Evil, since it is light-hearted, played for laughs and not taken seriously.