- NOTE: This page is only about his film incarnation as the comic incarnation of John Doe was not voted Pure Evil, and thus only the film version of John Doe's info and crimes should be put here.
|“||I visited your home this morning after you'd left. I tried to play husband. I tried to taste the life of a simple man. It didn't work out. So I took a souvenir... her pretty head.||„|
|~ John Doe bragging about murdering Tracy Mills.|
John Doe is the main antagonist of the 1995 dark psychological mystery-thriller film Se7en. He is a serial killer who murders people he believes are guilty of the Seven Deadly Sins.
What Makes Him Pure Evil?
- Torturing five people to death for his seven deadly sins serial killing project:
- Gluttony: Overfed a man to near death and then finally kicked his stomach to make it burst.
- Greed: Forced a man at gunpoint to remove a pound of flesh. While he deserved it for letting killers and rapists back on the streets, it’s still an act of murder.
- Pride: Drove a woman to overdose after cutting her nose off.
- Sloth: Strapped a man to his bed, malnourishing him for a whole year and cutting off his hand. While he certainly deserved it as he was a drug dealing pedophile, it’s still an act of murder.
- Lust: Forced a man at gunpoint to rape a woman to death with a dildo made from a knife.
- Although he spared David Mills' life, he only did it so he could torment him later.
- Murdering a pregnant Tracy Mills out of Envy and putting her decapitated head in a box for her husband David Mills to see, which is low even for John as she wasn't sinful in the slightest. Also corrupting Mills by letting him avenge Tracy's death, thus causing him to get arrested for Wrath.
- It's implied that he raped her too, judging from his "I tried to play husband" line.
- Overall being way too sadistic and hypocritical to be the extremist he claims to be, as he despises people who commit deadly sins despite himself displaying a fair amount of wrath (being a serial killer), pride (enjoying being one), lust and envy (raping and murdering Tracy out of jealousy for David's normal life). Even Mills points out John's hypocrisy when he scorns the Greed victim for keeping murderers and rapists on the streets despite being one of each.
- Only the movie version is Pure Evil, since the comic version has a tragic backstory as the two are separate canons.