|“||Academics - you never want to get your hands dirty. Think about it; if you gave back every stolen artifact from a museum, you'd be left with a empty building. We're just providing a necessary service to the archaeological community.||„|
|~ Rourke on his methods of thievery.|
|~ Rourke after immediately betraying Helga.|
|“||Tired, Mr. Thatch? Aw, that’s a darn shame, 'cause I’m just getting warmed up!||„|
|~ Rourke attempting to kill Milo, also his last words.|
Commander Lyle Tiberius Rourke is the main antagonist of Disney's Atlantis: The Lost Empire franchise, serving as the main antagonist of Disney's 41st full-length animated feature film Atlantis: The Lost Empire and a posthumous antagonist in Atlantis: Milo's Return.
Throughout the first majority of the story, Rourke seemed to be a decent general who may have wanted some wealth in his exploration with Milo, but when the opportunity was given, Rourke's despicable side was revealed in him willing to do whatever it takes to get what he wants.
He was voiced by the late James Garner.
What Makes Him Pure Evil?
- Though he does have comedic moments, his actions are still played seriously.
- He punched the King of Atlantis hard in the gut despite his already delicate condition, then threatens him with a gun to tell him where the crystal is. The King later dies from the injury Rourke gave him.
- He nearly caused Kida to be lost to the Heart of Atlantis forever just like her mother by trying to sell it.
- He nearly caused thousands of lives to be destroyed by the near destruction of Atlantis. When Milo warned Rourke that stealing the Heart of Atlantis had the potential to spell doom for all the inhabitants, Rourke merely jocosely suggested this might boost the worth of the artifact on the market.
- Punched Milo in the face and then stepped on his picture of his grandfather to spite him before leaving him behind in Atlantis.
- When his specialized expedition crew of many years washed their hands of the evil plot, Rourke was simply frustrated with the fact that they'd grown a conscience and left them behind with Milo, condemning them to share a surely deadly fate with the rest of Atlantis's population. He also blew up the bridge to Atlantis to prevent them from escaping the city or stopping him.
- Didn't show any care for any of his mercenaries that were killed in the final battle.
- He threw Helga off their blimp to her death just to light the load and escape quickly.
- Finally, he gleefully tried to murder Milo with an axe for foiling his plans to leave the volcano with the Heart of Atlantis.
- While being crystallized by Milo, he tried to finish what he started by lunging at Milo until the propeller kills him.
- Had he succeeded in his plans, Atlantis would have been destroyed, the heroes (assuming they abandoned Rourke) and all the Atlanteans would have perished, and Kida would have been lost to the crystal forever just like her mother.
- In the Hispanic version, he is voiced by the late Pedro Armendáriz Jr. who also voices another Pure Evil villain, K'as, from the Mexican film Nikté.