|“||Cletus Kasady is dead. Long live Cletus @#$%&@ Kasady. Piloting my new Carnage machine into every gaping hole in the mannequin-filled city. Kill enough and I awake my god. And then this world falls under a waterfall of blood and enters a new universe of dark. And hoo-boy, I will be there. Sucking the last sweet shivering breaths out of its rotting, maggot-filled, bloated corpse. Dancing all silly and spine-broken to the universe's death rattle. I am the gore emperor of a thousand dead stars. I am a new colossus of bleeding red megadeath. I am the red right hand of the King in Black. I am the end of the world as you @#$%&&# know it...and I feel like a drink.||„|
|~ Carnage stating his plan to unleash Knull.|
|“||My name is Cletus Kasady and I kill people and I love it. I know nine million ways to kill a body and I love every single one of them. All dull day every day right up until I hit the hay I think of bodies. Bodies burst. Bodies slit right up the middle and shared across a hundred nice little gardens. And when I sleep I dream of ways to kill a body that ain't nobody thought of yet.||„|
|~ Cletus Kasady.|
Cletus Kasady, or also better known by his supervillain name Carnage, is a major antagonist from Marvel Comics, serving as a major antagonist of the Spider-Man franchise and the central antagonist of the Venom comic book series. He is Venom's spawn and one of his arch-nemesis (along with Riot and Knull).
Unlike other members of Spider-Man's rogue's gallery, who were ordinary people who suffered accidents or some personal tragedy before becoming supervillains, Cletus Kasady was already a very dangerous serial killer, originating from a dark past before the symbiote made him the powerful psychopathic supervillain known as Carnage.
He is also one of the (if not the) darkest, evilest, most insane, twisted, sick and disturbing villains Spider-Man has ever faced. He is the titular main antagonist of Maximum Carnage, Minimum Carnage, Carnage USA, Absolute Carnage and Extreme Carnage, as well as the secondary antagonist of Go Down Swinging, and a posthumous antagonist of King In Black.
What Makes Him Pure Evil?
- Although he suffered a deeply disturbing childhood, which is the reason behind his psychopathy, insanity and nihilistic philosophy where he firmly believed that life was essentially meaningless and futile and that “laws are only words”, none of it excuses any of his heinous crimes and atrocities against humanity and his philosophical worldview doesn’t justify the murder by the millions on innocent people.
- He was already a violent and dangerously ill serial killer even before he bonded with the alien symbiote. And unlike Eddie Brock (whose morality is affected by his symbiote), he does everything on his own volition.
- Even though he suffers from paranoid schizophrenia which causes him to have episodes of extraterrestrial deliriums (which was what gave him an easier connection to the alien symbiote), he is still in full control of himself and has a clear moral agency given how he revels in the suffering of others and considers it “freedom”.
- Killing so many people that he reaches a body count only plagues and dictators can rival.
- He killed his grandmother by pushing her down the stairs (although she deserved it given her abusive nature towards him).
- He drilled his pet dog to death simply out of jealousy and envy of getting more attention.
- He tried to kill his mother for "neglecting" him by dropping a hair dryer in her bathtub.
- He killed the headmistress of the orphanage and burned it down, killing all of the orphans (although they might’ve deserved it for mistreating and abusing him).
- He killed a guy simply because he found his name stupid.
- After his father accidentally killed his mother, Cletus then committed perjury during his murder trial, knowing that his answers could mean the difference between his father being acquitted or executed (albeit his father was also abusive to him).
- He pushed a girl he had a crush on in front of a moving bus just because she rejected him, shedding that redeeming quality he attempted to have.
- During a fight with Spider-Man and Venom, Carnage took a baby from its mother's arms and threw it out of a window. Thankfully, Venom saved it.
- Ripped out the tongues of the Spider Patrol and used their tongues to make a jacket.
- Went on a murder spree to attract Spider-Man and Venom so he could kill them both.
- Attacked a penthouse party outside Central Park and slaughtered several guests before infecting the food with poison and trying to kill Spider-Man.
- Attacked Sam Alexander's high school in an attempt to murder him.
- Attacked Martha Robertson and severely wounded her by severing her arm and writing "Carnage Rules" in her blood.
- The Carnage symbiote once possessed Peter Parker's clone, Ben Reily, becoming Spider-Carnage. Reily then risks his life in order to free himself from the symbiote by subjecting himself to a fatal dose of microwave energy.
- Once the symbiote produced an offspring known as Toxin that bonded to a cop named Patrick Mulligan, Carnage tried to kill Toxin out of an irrational hatred of him despite Toxin being his own offspring.
- The symbiote abandoned Kasady and infected the Silver Surfer simply to escape from Spider-Man.
- Covered the dead bodies of innocent people to frame them as murderers.
- Drove his psychiatrist insane by placing portions of the symbiote inside of his brain, turning him into a cannibalistic madman.
- Killed off the entire staff and prisoners of Kramer Penitentiary.
- Teamed up with Blastaar The Living Bomb-Burst and later betrayed him in attempt to use his weapon to kill trillions of people.
- Attacked Houston with an army of mini-Carnages.
- Killed numerous people through a computer screen simply for laughing at cheesy videos.
- The symbiote bonded with Norman Osborn and killed Flash Thompson just to hurt Spider-Man. The symbiote then decided it wanted to kill all of humanity, horrifying even Norman.
- As Dark Carnage, he hunted those who had bonded to symbiotes to consume their codices and slaughtered many civilians to empower himself, corrupting and infecting numerous other people as well.
- After becoming Devil Carnage, he released Knull in an attempt to get him to consume all life in the universe. He also forced Venom to choose between letting Knull consume everything or saving his son's life.
- He killed a restaurant full of people, including women and children.
- He ate the heads of over four thousand cattle and cannibalized an entire meatpacking facility staff.
- He created a “family” of supervillains to drive New York into homicidal insanity. He also kidnapped, tortured and nearly killed Venom during this time.
- He abused and occasionally tried to kill his “wife” Shriek and murdered their “son” Doppelganger for trying to defend her. He also abandoned her when she was taken to Ravencroft and did nothing to help her, only using her blind loyalty to aid him in his plans, which continued whenever they were together. When Shriek offered herself as a sacrifice to revive Demogoblin, Carnage ripped out her spine to claim her codex of the Scorn symbiote.
- In Carnage USA, he makes copies of his symbiote and uses them to infect/control other people (including the Avengers) in a small Colorado town. Even though Carnage was defeated, it wasn't before he murdered Eric Morrell's young daughter Stephanie.
- He raised the Elder God Chthon from his slumber, so Chthon would slaughter mankind while he’s allowed to bathe in the blood of billions.
- After being killed, he returned to life with the power to control other symbiotes and intended to end the world with the Life Foundation symbiotes under his thrall.
- He assassinated Senator Peter Krane on live television, assimilated Iron Man's Extremis-infected symbiote while badly wounding him, and caused anti-alien sentiment to reach an all-time high through his actions.
- Unlike other Marvel villains, he has absolutely no end-goal other than the spreading of chaos, death, destruction, and carnage through random, unpatterned bloodshed, and he views it as “the ultimate freedom” because he is “freeing” countless souls from suffering.
- In the first issue of Web of Venom: Carnage Born, Scorn states that Cletus Kassady originally died as a newborn from nuchal cord strangulation, but that Knull resurrected him to make him an agent of the Void. Had this been confirmed, this would have stripped Carnage from his Pure Evil status, as this would mean that Cletus Kassady was born to be evil from the beginning, giving him moral agency issues. However, this was debunked later on as having been a lie fabricated by the Cult of Knull to sensationalize Carnage as Knull's chosen one.