Captain Kuro is an infamous pirate from North Blue. He was the leader of the Black Cat Pirates. He is the main antagonist of the Syrup Village Arc.
In the past, Kuro led his pirate group the Black Cat Pirates in the East Blue. However, Kuro did not want to pursued by the Marines any longer. He slaughtered an entire ship full of Marines and then devised a plan to have one of his minions to impersonate him through Jango's hypnotism. The minion was executed and Kuro was no longer a wanted man.
Later on, Kuro settled in Syrup Village, met with Kaya an unhealthy, frail, but friendly girl who had a large inheritance, and took on the alias Klahadore to live with her. He would mock Usopp and would also pretend to be a kind-hearted butler to Kaya. However, he was only interested in taking her inheritance for himself and having her murdered. Over time, Usopp, Luffy, Zoro, and the others discovered Kuro's true plan to try and kill Kaya for her inheritance and to lead an army of pirates into Syrup Village to kill off all the inhabitants. When Kaya found out Kuro's true nature, Kuro cruelly ridicules her, destroys the present she was going to give him, and admits that he wants to kill her for his own pleasure. When the Black Cat Pirates appear in the village, Luffy and Zoro fights against them to try and stop them. However, Kuro appears and tries to fight Luffy and Zoro. During the fight, Kuro attacks his own crew by cutting them down and killing some of them. He admits he wants to live in Syrup Village in peace by himself when his plans was over and that he would kill off his own crew to finalize the plan. Outraged with what he saw, Luffy defeats Kuro and knocks him out. After his defeat, Kuro leaves Syrup Village and is on the run from the Marines who may have found out that they executed an imposter of him.
What Makes him Pure Evil?
- Captain Kuro unlike the earlier antagonists like Buggy, Morgan, Don Krieg, and Arlong, and other villains that appear later, lacks redeeming qualities or comedic traits.
- Captain Kuro was behind a mass murder when he slaughters an entire ship full of Marines.
- Kuro has one of his own subordinates take the place for him for his own crimes leaving him to be executed by the Marines.
- Kuro later enters Syrup Village and pretends to be a kind-hearted butler to Kaya. However, he was plotting to murder her for her fortunes. When his true nature comes out towards her, he mocks her.
- Kuro believes that all his men are merely disposable pawns, and that pirates are mere savages incapable of rising above their animal nature.
- Kuro had already planned to kill his men beforehand since they knew of his true nature and to ensure his true identity be kept a secret.
- When fighting against Luffy and Zoro, Kuro attacks his own crew. He cuts them down one at a time intending on murdering all of them.
- Kuro attempted to kill Luffy, taking pleasure in the fear and agony he would endure.
- Kuro planned to have all the inhabitants of Syrup Village killed off so that he can live on the island alone in peace.
- Captain Kuro was remembered to be the very first One Piece villain to be Pure Evil.