|“||I won't tell you who the traitor is, or when we'll attack. However, the Duke will die before these eyes, and he'll know, he'll know, that it is I, Baron Vladimir Harkonnen, who encompasses his doom!||„|
|~ Harkonnen's explaining his master plan|
Baron Vladimir Harkonnen is the main antagonist of Frank Herbert's novel Dune, as well as the film and television adaptations of the novel. He is a corrupt, sadistic aristocrat who plans to destroy the Altreides family and seize the throne of the planet Arrakis.
In the 1984 film adaptation, he is portrayed by the late Kenneth McMillan. In the 2000 miniseries, he is portrayed by Ian McNeice. In the 2021 film adaptation, he is played by Stellan Skarsgård, who also portrayed Martin Vanger in The Girl With the Dragon Tattoo and King Cerdic in King Arthur.
This section is too long. Visit here for more details: Baron Vladimir Harkonnen's Synopsis on the Villains Wiki.
What Makes Him Pure Evil?
- Oppressed the Fremen throughout his rule over Arrakis.
- Conspired with the Padishah Emperor to destroy House Atreides, knowing so well of his jealousy to Duke Leto Atreides.
- Raping dozens of boys and young men as sex slaves.
- Torturing and murdering his political enemies and even his own henchmen.
- Attacking and destroying House Atreides, resulting in the deaths of Leto Atreides and countless soldiers, as well as executions of hostages.
- Turning Dr. Wellington Yueh into a traitor by capturing, tormenting (and secretly killing) his wife under the false promise to reunite them, only to have him killed too, "joining them".
- Ordered for Paul and Jessica Atreides to be fed to the Sandworms.
- Having sexual lust towards his own nephews.
- Kidnapping Wanna.
- Corrupting Thufir Hawat into his service.
- Ordering Rabban to brutalize and attempt to wipe out the Fremen.
- Planning on replacing Rabban with Feyd.
- Forcing Feyd to slaughter several female slaves.
- Possessing Alia and having her act against her family.
- Driving Alia to suicide.
- He is the only Dune villain to be Pure Evil, so far.
- His sexual perversion is hinted at in the 2021 film due to showing his young male slaves who are dressed somewhat and act shyly submissively and having him strip his rival, Leto.